Monday, August 15, 2016

First Post


In January 2015 Rhetta my husband’s mother moved in with us.  The year leading up to the move involved several falls and times in the hospital. Checking in on her more frequently revealed poor cooking skills and a diet mostly of sweet and salty snacks.  We then provided daily healthy prepared meals but we knew something was going to have to change.  Rhetta could no longer live alone.

The family decided it would be best for around the clock care. Two different remote life alert systems had failed her when she needed it most resulting in evening hours on the floor without help until her neighbor found her in need the next morning.  At first the family discussed and explored senior care facilities options.  Then I had a revelation.  Why not me?  I could take care of her full time. 

It was not a quick and easy decision, my husband and I carefully considered what this would mean.  Seven days a week, 24 hours a day.  No vacations, breaks, concerts, or day trips unless we arranged for costly help.  We had only been empty nesters for four months.

Completely convinced this was the best solution compared to all others, I dove in with full force.  I immediately registered for a Certified Nursing Assistant program (CNA) at Rowan College at Gloucester County and hired my friend to cover me. It was a valuable educational experience and worthwhile in every way.  I passed two rigorous exams to be licensed.  The first was an evaluation of my CNA step by step performance skills.  The second part was an extensive written examination.  I also completed and passed the American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers (CPR and AED) Program.

The reason I am blogging now is from what I am hearing from her Hospice Nurses, Home Health Aides, Social Worker, and Chaplain, as well as close and extended family.  It is very positive feedback regarding my abilities and upbeat attitude.  So I want to share and connect with others in the same or similar situation.  It is with my heart and soul to create this blog as an outreach to provide support, comfort, and ideas to help a caregiver’s life and the ones they serve to be more fulfilled and balanced.  

Previously I had a full career as New Business Development Account Executive in my 20’s through my 40’s.  I have now reached a place in my life that is the most rewarding, fulfilling, challenging, and blessed in every respect.  It is such a paradox to go from the corporate chase the carrot world to really following my true soul calling, to help and care for others. 

It is okay to switch gears in life and change to be more in line to what truly resonates within.  In the past I chose a BBA in Marketing because I love people, travel, new experiences and challenges.  My career was about bringing important projects to talented creative designers, architects, and artists.  In 1997-1998 was a tumultuous time but the most fruitful with a year towards my Masters in Art Therapy.  Even though not completed, it later turned into Healing Artisan and Art Discovery Workshops that also embraced the healing, caring, artistic being that I authentically am. In 2000, I completed Reiki I and Reiki II.  A few years later Reiki III – Master Level.  I have been practicing and attuning others to Reiki for 16 years now. 

This blog will open up the possibilities of our magnificent and infinite world.  May there be more inner peace, love, and joy for everyone’s highest good.  May you enjoy reading my thoughts and experiences and feel inclined to share with me yours.   Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment